Results of Laser Liposuction
There are two aspects of improvement being observed after the procedure: reduction of fat and improvement in skin tightness. The tissue will appear smaller from the removal of fat fairly early. There will not be much visible change in the skin in the first month. This change, relying on the new production of collagen and elastin after laser liposuction, will start to increase in the second month and continue to improve for many months afterwards.
Laser Liposculpture Benefits
The benefits of Laser Liposuction are reduction of the trauma to the tissues during the laser-guided procedure while still being able to get into superficial areas just under the skin. This enables such conditions as cellulite and skin dimpling to be treated as well.
The advantages are:
- Normally no scars.
- Normally no bruising.
- Possible under local anesthesia.
- Ability to eliminate superficial skin irregularities.
- Skin Quality Enhancement and skin does not hang after the procedure.
- Fat reduction by its dissolution.
- Effective body contouring (sculpture).
Laser Liposuction Risks/ Complications / Patient Safety
Any surgical procedure is not absolutely without any risk. The risks of Laser Liposuction are, however, less than those of traditional liposuction, namely:
- Though no infection has been recorded even in a single case of laser liposuction, the possibility of an infection occurring is always theoretically there, especially in case patient does not keep his/her dressings clean and dry and does not take antibiotics and other medications.
- Fluid collection (seroma) has not been observed in a single case of laser liposuction though it is quite common after traditional liposuction.
- Laser liposuction diminishes the need for further surgery in case of excessive fat amounts.
- Contrary to laser liposuction, in cases of laser liposuction contour irregularities do not happen.
- No scarring has been seen in case of laser liposuction.
Laser Liposuction Recovery Process
After the liposuction procedure, patient should not forget and should obligatorily attend to all the post-operative sessions of treatment recommended by the treating doctor in order to avoid any complications.
Due to the extensive nature of this process in many layers of the tissue, there will be skin swelling. A compression garment is used after Laser Liposuction to reduce such swelling.
Cold laser therapy, vibrational massage and low-power magnetic field therapies are specially beneficial to promoting rapid recovery.
Normal activity can be resumed in one or two hours in some cases but in other cases only after 1-2 days. There may or may not be any stitches to be removed. Strenuous activity and sports are reserved for after 3 to 4 weeks after the Laser Liposuction, especially after there has been full wound healing and all incisions have healed completely so that no water, sweat and dirt could affect them. After this time, wearing a garment is optional and the skin stimulation will be more evident over the next several months.
Frequently Asked Questions about Laser Liposuction:
Do I need to have a medical check-up before laser liposuction?
Since this is a surgical procedure, pre-operative medical check-up is mandatory.
The medical check-up includes:
- an evaluation of the cardiac function by performing an electrocardiography (ECG);
- an evaluation of the state of abdominal organs like the liver, spleen, pancreas, intestines, and kidneys as well as the fatty tissue layers concerned by carrying out echography and radiography. Radiography is, however, performed in some cases.
- a functional dynamic energy scan for evaluating the functional status of organs and systems of the patient's body in order to locate allergy, sensitivity problems to certain food substances and medications, skin reactions, metabolic disturbances (especially fat metabolism) as well as to find out the level of hypo- and hyperfunctioning as well as degeneration of organs and systems in the body.
- Appropriate blood and urine tests are also needed, e.g. hemoglobin level, general blood count, blood biochemistry, levels of electrolytes and minerals, general urine test as well as urine microscopy.
What type of Physician can perform Laser Liposuction?
It is highly recommended that a surgeon with special expertise in traditional and modern liposuction techniques as well as laser surgery and medicine performs the procedure.
Can Laser Liposuction be done in the physician's or surgeon's office?
Yes, it can be performed in a physician's or surgeon's office, but in a speciality room set up for surgical procedures and NOT in an examination room. There should be proper monitoring equipment of vital functions and the procedure should be performed in sterile and safe conditions.
Will Laser Liposuction Be Painful?
If local anesthesia is elected, there will be no pain but some discomfort due to sensation of touch while the numbing fluid is being placed. This process is fairly short, usually 5-10 minutes. Oral analgesics and sedatives are taken prior to this liposuction in order to maximize comfort.
Under general or spinal anesthesia, nothing is felt during the procedure.
Afterwards, there is soreness in the treated areas lasting days to weeks depending upon the extent of the Laser Liposuction and the number of sites treated. As swelling subsides, comfort resumes.
Will there be Scarring from Laser Liposuction?
There are two types of scarring to be considered in Laser Liposuction. The actual incisions that are made and any scar tissue that forms under the skin form the process itself. Fortunately, due the extremely small nature of the cannula ( the tube placed under the skin) and the laser fiber, surface incisions are among the smallest of any type of liposuction. Also, for the same reasons, there should be minimal disruption under the skin to cause significant scarring there as well.
What Are Some of The Typical Short-Term Side Effects of Laser Liposuction?
Short-term side effects of Laser Liposuction include swelling confined to the superficial layer of the skin. This can last up to approximately one month. Also, there can be a delay in the ability to see an improvement in skin laxity, since the process does not tighten the skin immediately as some lasers do, but rather Laser Liposuction works through a process of stimulation of the fibroblast cells in the skin to over time manufacture more collagen and elastin which makes the skin plump and tight respectively.
Laser Liposuction Standard Procedure Techniques
The technique of laser liposuction is basically as follows:
It is performed in 3 main steps:
- laser influence on the deep layer of fatty tissues to liquefy the fats;
- laser influence on the superficial layer of fatty tissues just beneath the skin to bio-activate the skin cells for more collagen and elastin production, thus enhancing skin quality;
- suction removal of fats, oils and cellular debris.
Please note that when laser is used to dissolve the fats which are then left to be absorbed naturally by the lymphatic system of the body, this technique cannot be called "liposuction" as no suction is performed in this case. It is properly called "lipolysis", meaning 'fat destruction'. This technique of laser lipolysis is usually reserved for areas where there is a moderate amount of fat deposit, such as the face and neck or where skin tightening is required together with fat removal:
- Facial skin
- Neck Skin
- Excessive Sweating ( hyperhydrosis)
- Areas of concomitant surgery
What types of Anesthesia are used for Laser Liposuction?
Laser Liposuction can be performed under local or general or spinal anesthesia, depending upon the the case. As in traditional liposuction, a tumescent fluid is placed under the skin to cause "dissecting hydrotomy" and anesthetize the area. However. laser liposuction is more often performed under local anaesthesia.
Other Considerations of Laser Liposuction:
It has to be realized that there is a great variability in each individual candidate for Laser Liposuction and results can vary. Typical considerations which can alter the results of Laser Liposuction include:
In any case, a well-done laser liposuction is a pleasure to be experienced with real and instant loss of unwanted fats, effective body contouring and skin tightening, and to feel yourself different, lighter and better than before!
- Age of patient
- Skin damage by sun and other factors (chemicals, etc.)
- Total Lifetime Ultraviolet Exposure
- Skin thickness
- Body part
- Underlying loose muscle (neck , abdomen)
- Degree of existing skin laxity
- Amount of energy applied to the skin